Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Todays Generosity Is Tomorrows Future

When I least expect it, friends from my first trip to Ghana, have given a gift to prosper the children of Ghana. A generous donation has been given to be used toward purchasing supplies specifically for children of Ghana. Immediately, I knew where this could be used.
In August, a Head Teacher for a village school approached me with a request. This came only a day after being given a responsibility of developer of another village. He came to me in desperation saying, "Please, please, you are different, you are here to develop our village." The word development stopped me in my tracks. It was a title that I was becoming familiar with. There seemed to be a theme in August, and it was that I was to be a developer, becoming a leader to grow villages of the Volta Region. Using the word, developer, he had my attention. It was this moment, I believed there were no accidents and there were no coincidences. He explained to me that his school had no funding, and he did not care that his salary was low, but that he was passionate and devoted to raising up the education of the village children. He said he had a list and knew what he needed. At the time, we were in the middle of medical clinic, and I wasn't sure exactly what I could do that day. I took my journal out of my backpack and had him write his name, address, and the list of supplies that he needed. Mostly books, chalk, and paper. He said he was worried about books, because he didn't have any teaching resource and the children didn't have any books to be taught from. This made learning to read and education difficult when the resources were not there. He explained that he would be able to lock the resources in his office for safe keeping if the supplies would become available. I could see in his eyes that this wasn't asking for a handout, or even trying to get more than what was necessary. He was a man with true passion and desperation to prosper the children of his village to learn, to grow, and be a growing number that could be the future of Ghana. He was on a mission to get help and he was drawn to my face to get results.
Getting the news today of the funding almost one year later, I knew that Mr. Yorfor would be the right place for this funding to go. My mind goes back to this village, which I will protect the name for now. I wonder if he has thought about the moment that we sat on the concrete slab and made a list together, talking about how to develop his school. I wonder if he thinks that I will ever come back to do something with that list that he gave me. I have thought about him, and the children, and its hard not to look back into my journal and see his list and not want to make that dream a reality for this teacher. It is tonight that I see the reason and purpose of this list in my journal and this teacher approaching me saying that I would be the one to do something about his school. It is almost as if he knew that I had a heart for Ghana and that eventually I would come back. Or even that eventually I would follow through with his address and ship him the materials that his children needed. It is with great honor, to answer the calling for a teacher who approached me and trusted me to do something about the needs of his community. Thank you to great friends, a husband and wife, with a passion for children. Akpe! (Thank you!) You have just changed the lives of multiple children and built the dreams of a school teacher's passion to educate a village. I will go and find Mr. Yorfor in the Volta Region, and we will travel to Ho V/R and purchase the supplies needed for the school...and perhaps a few new soccer balls for a little recess fun on me! Mr. Yorfor will be beside himself when he sees me coming down the path, and he will know what I am coming for. Thank you for transforming a village and building the future of Ghana!

No comments:

Post a Comment